Friday, June 12, 2020

Things Here Are Getting Weird

 Sorry sorry for no updates in a while. Things have gotten a little crazy here. I am starting to think it's not a safe time to be a foreigner living in Jordan. For years now I thought this was my home...

 I was running an errand for Mama. I screwed up and left Kaleeb at the house.  It was just a trip to the store on the corner. I didn't think I needed him. A national police officer approached. He demanded my ID and then took me to the station. He didn't understand sign. He took my tablet away from me, I couldn't communicate that way. Playing charades across cultural barriers is not easy. I was a thoroughly search. In the end he called Baba.

 When Baba came, they said I looked like someone they were looking for in regards to a drug trafficking case. Baba was incensed, with how they treated his son's child. Yes, Z had to adopt me to solve some legal issues. I have never seen Baba so mad.  I was pleading with my fingers to just let it go and take me home. In the end he calmed down, I got dressed and we were allowed to leave. For the first time since I got here I missed Florida.

 When Z got home the rage began again. Mama tried to keep everyone calm. In the end she realized the only one she had a chance of calming was me. She and Z' sister took me aside and told me what the government had been reporting. The Justice Ministry is blaming foreigners for an uptick in crime. The irony is drug crimes committed by non-Jordanians has actually gone down this year.

I am no longer allowed to leave the compound alone.

---

 It seams Z and I may be relocating. I found out when Mama said how Zahir's sister and her husband the nurse could move into the little house. It would be good especially now that she is making babies. Well done Yawm newly married and the first kid on the way.

The boss is talking about opening a permanent office for building design, either in Europe or somewhere in the Americas. I am trying not to read too much into it. Normally one of the juniors are sent to open new offices. Zahir is not a junior anymore, I am hurting his career.

 I have been observing things back home. With the turmoil there, and the turmoil here I'm not sure there is a good place anywhere. For now my life is work, and home. I have had a taste of what it is like to be looked at by the police because of the color of my skin.

 I thought things would get easier when College was over. I guess I was wrong.

Chase

3 comments:

  1. I asked Zahir if the job and home changes were because of me. He answered without actually answering me.

    I begged him to stay. This is my home now, these people are my tribe. no security butt-hole (who can't tell the difference between a skinny 5' 2" red head from a 6'2" brunette FAT former muscle jock) is gonna scare me off!

    For now we stay. I will have a "minder" with me if I go out. I can live with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chase! Glad to hear from you again. That relly sucks how they treated you. Not. Ok.

    Hope you feel better. The way your family got upset shows how much they care about you. Let's focus on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing, absolutely nothing was worse than the look on Baba's face when he saw me standing naked in the police station.

      Zahir, has been giving me a lot of hugging and holding time. I think the poor guy thinks it is his fault.

      Delete