Monday, June 29, 2020

We Have Lost Our Polaris

 While everyone was worried about COVID-19, we lost our guide star. Baba the leader of our tribe has gone to his reward. Three years ago he had a heart attack, and I helped him recover. Yesterday, we woke to find he had a massive one in his sleep.

 There will be changes, for now we are focusing on saying good bye to our patriarch. I wanted to avoid learning this part of Bedouin culture for some time.

 We rushed to ensure he was buried before sunset. Zahir told me the body is buried as soon as possible and always within 24 hours. We didn't know exactly when he departed so it was decided by the eldest brother it had to happen before the sun went down.

 - Nadir

3 comments:

  1. I’m so very sorry for your and Zahirs loss! I'm sure you guys will find a way to get through this. ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Martin, it's kind of weird. Z, his mama, and his sister are constantly checking on me is if I'm going to shattered into a million pieces. I'm trying to look after them. After all he was their father and husband.

    For the past three years Baba and I have been thick as thieves. I know that doesn't sound like a long time, but considering how many foster parents I've had, that's an eternity to me. I think they understand that.

    Chase

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess Emri's impression our roles in our families is spot on. My role as Z's spouse is to be the soft delicate inner center, with Zahir as my tough outer shell, especially now.

      I made the mistake of trying to take over the cooking chore, but Mama would hear nothing of it. That is her domain. I recognize she's struggling to find normalcy by performing normal tasks. She has however welcomed to my "assistance" in the kitchen.

      This morning she started crying and I got to pull her head against my shoulder and be a tough outer shell for her. Zahir was watching from our patio across the garden

      Delete