Saturday, September 14, 2019

Working Weekend in the Woods

 Zahir's star is on the rise. Since he made partner he has become a center of attention. With him being a driven extrovert alpha jock it is heaven (me not so much). One of the senior partners invited us to his cabin in Jerash. It is so pretty here and not what most would expect to see.
 
 The older partner's wife was occasionally giving me the stink-eye. That ended when our host started telling his older son about my adventure in Kiev. Z told me the partner's wife and kids were likely hanging on our every word in the kitchen.
 
 The company is like a family, and not much is more valuable than family honor. The fact I was injured after defending that image has value. Yes, I know the incident with the junkie had NOTHING to do with the crap the interior designer and the property developer pulled. I have learned folks LOVE stories and at times some will embellish the tale to draw others in.

 We were given separate bedrooms connected by a sitting room. It was weird not sleeping in his bed. This is one of those times we are treated as "brothers." Z has promised to make it up to me.


 I was enjoying morning coffee on the deck. A tiny blue tit caught my eye and full attention. "You notice the tiny things..." I was so startled by her voice I almost shot coffee out of my nose. Somewhere there MUST BE a spousal ninja academy. If so, I will have to attend to learn how to stealth in and out of areas like wives do here. When I regrouped she apologized for startling me. She finished her thought, "I see you notice the tiny things. Life happens in the tiny details most do not see."

 She laughed when I told her how the contractors in Kiev called me Krykhitna Ptytsya (the tiny bird). I went on to say most people don't take time to look at the small stuff. Overlooked things are where failure happens. She said in her world most of the young do not understand this.

 She asked if it was true that I "knock on tables" during meetings. Looks like the boss failed to mention our code to some of the other employees. I didn't realize that was a point of irritation among some of the managers. I told her I can only be heard when it is quiet and explained it was the boss who came up with the "table tap" as a way to get around my weakness.

 This of course led to the "what happened" talk. I gave the short version. I was injured and my voice was damaged. That explanation still earned me the broken boy pity look (BBPL). I hate the BBPL, next time I think I'll try to make a joke of it... "My voice saw my personality and ran away."

 Her husband came out on the deck and patted my head. His wife quickly departed. "I will tell the rest of the staff about the tap, and WHO mandated it's use." We chatted for a bit longer. I told him how beautiful his "cabin" and property were. His chest puffed out a bit. 

 Then Zahir stumbled out and asked how long WE had been up. I damn near died when the host said I had been a good boy, just quietly viewing his wife's tits. With my very red face buried in my hand I muttered, "You couldn't just say we were looking at the birds."

 We just finish dinner (lunch to most). The oldest son is taking Z and I for a walk in the forest. Heading back to the compound after supper.
  Only one final scheduled this week and three projects due (done already, going to polish them a bit more though) a light week. I have run the numbers, summa/magna cum laude are NOT in the cards. Baring a terminal bought of cranial flatulence I am on track for a respectable cum laude ending in both degrees. A couple professors dropped a few of my projects by a full grade. I turned them in late when I was sick earlier this year. Z was angry, "Meningitis B was a good reason to be late!"

 I reminded him the University didn't make me sick and they didn't have to take the projects at all. They were in fact turned in late. I made the joke; Of those who graduate very few students come in summa cum laude, some reach magna cum laude, more just cum laude and others come in shouting "lawdy, lawdy we likes to pawty..." all get the same degree. He didn't laugh. He smiled when I added, "Daddy, is life fair?"


 - Christopher

No comments:

Post a Comment