Monday, November 05, 2018

Saying Good-bye


 The Grandparents are on their way back to Paducah. They took "the red-eye." Got hugs and kisses. I apologized for yesterdays meltdown. Granddad told me it was understandable, given the circumstances. We made plans for a video chat next week. It is nice to have people of my own. 

 Zahir and I had breakfast with his parents. Baba and Z went off to ship our treasures back to Jordan ($300). There was a flaw in their plan, they left Mama and I near a gift-shop unsupervised. I think the two of us got her purchases packed well between the four cases. That woman is a retail force of nature. I have shopped with her a lot. It is rare when she gets something for herself. "This grandchild would love this. That would look cute on..." I saw her admiring a scarf. I could see her desire, then she just put it back.

At the airport Baba told me to be good for the doctor. I looked at Zahir, and Baba saw my confused look. There was a heated exchange in a tribal language (I think) as Mama hugged me. It looks like my next stop is Atlanta. Zahir said there is a doctor there who is researching RLN injuries. There MAY be a treatment, that MIGHT help me get more of my voice back.

 Baba pulled me aside telling me not to be angry with Zahir. "He didn't want your hopes raised too much. He tries to protect your heart from disappointment." Baba added his son didn't think far enough ahead. "I reminded him how justly angry you were when he surprised you with your scar revision consult."

 I gave Mama a bag as she turned to board their flight. When she saw the scarf she had admired in the store her arms flew around me, "My good son."

 Zahir and I made up on the way to our flight. Next stop two (maybe more) days in Atlanta.

1 comment:

  1. Aww the scarf that is so nice!! :) A's mom likes scarves, obviously since she lives in Iran. I have gotten her a few for gifts. I dont know if she likes them or not, but I try to get ones that have big fashion labels so she can wear them back home and say, "Oh, is from Beverly Hills!" hah. They love labels!!
    I hope Atlanta brings some healing!

    ReplyDelete