Sunday, November 11, 2018

I Am Not Sure I Am American Anymore...

 I'm home, my estimate was off it was 3 hours and 15 minutes flight time. We got a straight in approach and then right into the hanger.
 
 Yes, you read my headline right. With all the divisive crap that's going on back home in the States, I'm not sure I'm American anymore. I don't know maybe it's the fact that I only have 355 days till I'm no longer a teenager, but I'm not seeing things the same.

 As a child (when I could be one) I saw life in black and white. They say travel broadens your mind, I guess that's true because I am looking at things differently. The world is no longer a scary place to me. Yes, there are scary people in it, and some wonderful people too. I'm going to focus on the wonderful people in my life, until I know what I want for me. 

 Cleared customs and the driver took us straight back to the compound. I so love my nest. Zahir doesn't call it that, but I kind of like the way that my friend EM looks at his home as a nest. Zahir calls it our palace. He is the king, and I am his princess. I am content in our little kingdom, within the larger Kingdom. 

 I don't know what my future holds but I can't wait to see it unfold. It is two in the morning and I am still wired. Our house turned out beautiful. Zahir had a couple birthday surprises added. He made a couple changes to my design of the house. First he added a cozy loveseat in the main lounge, so I have a place I can cuddle with a book or study.

 Second, he got with Stacy and redesigned the boy cave. "You made it look too much like me. This is YOUR space when you need to be alone." The furniture in the suite is softer and warmer toned. Lots of cedar and soft fabrics. The sleeping area has a nice queen sized canopy bed. The cedar smells fantastic. 

  I should try and sleep, morning all.

2 comments:

  1. That is really cool. :) We would love to have a compound some day. Your nest is the little space inside the palace where you are safe. I guess in a compound you have a lot of space to roam. Once we have kids, our nest will be fuller with more to protect. Glad you are home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are two houses in the compound. We have the cottage (it is NOT a cottage). Baba, mama and Zahir's baby sister have the big house. Zahir is being the unmarried son (I don't count) looks after his parents. All the sons would gather several times a week even at their old house. The daughters come home with their husbands less frequently. Mostly for special occasions.

    I've been here for two years, I still don't know how I fit in to the family metric. Sometimes I'm the baby son, sometimes I am Z's protege, sometimes I am the lap dog, sometimes I am Baba's trusted caregiver/companion, most of the time I feel like the wounded bird. My friend wrote a story, that I very much see myself in.

    ReplyDelete