Saturday, September 29, 2018

I Messed Up

  While the brothers were out yesterday one of Zahir's cousins came by the base-camp. Baba informed me he was a member of the National Police. I told him I was once part of our Police Department's Explorer Program back in Florida. When he said he was going out for some target practice. I asked if I could tag along. When he asked if I shoot, I said I was very weapons proficient. Baba's brother went with us, so I saw no problem. Apparently there was, Zahir was not happy when he returned and I was not there.

  I missed the first two cans but hit the rest. I was bracing for a recoil that never came. Once I got used to his Beretta 9 mm I didn't miss a single target. I was trained on and prefer a Glock 45. The two men returned to Camp with me, without incident, praising my eye and hand.

  On the one hand I did finally get the alone time I sought with Zahir. Unfortunately it was not the kind I wanted. He yelled at me for being disloyal. I told him I have eyes for no other.  He told me he understands me however  others have eyes for me. Then he went on to say it was not my place to prepare to defend the family. "You are only a gentle boy."

  I am not to leave Baba's side for the remainder of the trip. He has gotten so used to me being his quiet mouse, he forgets that I was once something more. This week is going to drag, but I will obey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment