Monday, December 24, 2018

Christmas In Jordan

 Zahir had to go into the office today. He did surprise me by telling me I needed to get dressed for work. Monday is normally my day to sleep in.  I learned long ago when he says I am to do something one does not dawdle. By the time I emerged from the shower he already had clothing laid out for me.

 I was a little surprised he had me dress more formally than I normally do. Normally it's a suit and tie mini  Z, I guess you could say. He had me dressed in a going out suit, there's a difference. As we headed into town I told him he was going the wrong way. "I tell my boy he has work to do. I did not say where! My boy questions me?"

 When we pulled in front of the apartment building in Abdali, I realized where we were. Especially since I just been there the other day for church. My pastor and Z exchanged blessings and greetings. Zahir told me I was to work hard and obey the pastor. This is my first Christmas with my new church family. One of the things we do is bring food packages to those in need. We decided it would have more meaning on Christmas Eve. Then we had church in the afternoon. The only thing I could do to help out with was to sort boxes. Baba has loaned me one of his canes to get around with. I still can't bear full weight on the right leg. The pastor reminded me, "We each help where we can."

 Our church is a multinational congregation. We have believers from Denmark, Germany, United States, a couple Japanese girls, and yes we do have Jordanians and Syrians too. I knew Silent Night was written in German originally. This was the first time I got to sing it in German. I also didn't know that it was composed originally for a guitar. The pastor and his wife took me home after church. Our church sees Zahir as my husband. Knowing full well that cannot legally happen here yet. I hope for the future.

 Back at home I was greeted to another round of showering and changing. Z says for me to do something, I do it. Zahir's eldest brother took the two of us out for dinner with his family. Our relationship has really changed. The eldest brother and I never really got along all that well until we went out house hunting. When he pulled that scorpion from my back it kind of change the nature of our relationship. I knew I was just another little one that he was protecting.

 A friend of mine asked if I was getting piggy back rides while I'm laid up. Actually I don't weigh that much, most of the time Z just sweeps me up off my feet and carries me around the house if I am sick or injured. Occasionally it is sweet like carrying a baby, sometimes it is over his shoulder like a caveman. That way can be fun too.

 Tomorrow is a national holiday in Jordan, and Mama has plans to help me celebrate, "The birth of your prophet."

Night all and Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds really sweet. Good for you packing up stuff for people in need. I always say we should do that and we never end up doing it. I know my guy donates money for that stuff, but we never really get involved like that. Happy things are going well there for it :)

    ReplyDelete